You can also create a blessing bag. Here are some suggestions for you or your organization to collect items and assemble the bags.
Create a Gallon Size Ziploc Bag This is key for several reasons:
- Helps to keep everything together & in one place so they can easily access the supplies in their bags/backpacks
- Keeps the items from spilling/leaking onto their personal items in their bags.
- The bags can later be used for other storage options within their bags – storing toiletries, snacks.
What To Include:
- Hand-Warmers – we put a couple packs in, especially during the winter, but even for those chilly evenings in the spring/summer/fall these would be very welcome. We buy a pack of 40 at Costco for around $15 ($.38/pk) & then we have these on hand for blessing bags as well as camping, winter sports, etc.
- Bag of Quarters – These are nice to include for washing clothes at the laundromat (we just put them in a snack-size Ziploc bag to keep them contained in a smaller area
- Bottle of Water – Mini water bottles work great so they don’t take up too much space or if you can fit a regular size water bottleBand-Aids – these are something that may often be needed but may not be something they would be able to spend money on or think about having.
- Baby Wipes – a small pack of baby wipes would be a great one to include to help with feeling clean & fresh
- Hand Sanitizer – another great option to help them feel cleanerWash Cloth – buy an inexpensive wash cloth to include
*If you have a lot of items to include in your bags, travel-size toiletries work great
- Toothpaste (travel size if you have a lot of items to put into your bag)
- Soap (we bring home soaps from hotels if we don’t end up using all of them)
- Shampoo/conditioner (these are also great products to save from hotels if you don’t use them as they’re the perfect size for these bags)
- Personal hygiene items if you’re making a kit for a woman (tampons, pantiliners, pads, etc)
- Sunscreen (depending on time of year)
- New Socks
- New Underwear
- Inexpensive gloves
- Granola Bars
- Energy Bars
- Tuna/cracker packs
- Trail mix
- Fruit cup/ applesauce cup (& include a spoon)
- Gum/hard candy
- Hot Cocoa/Spiced Cider Mixes or on-the-go coffee mixes